Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Blu-Ray - The Future for Some Movies

I've come to realize - and I think many others have, as well - that the Blu-Ray format isn't necessary for all movies. Yes, DVD manufacturers and movie companies want to phase out normal DVDs, but is that a good thing? Unlike the transition from VHS to DVD, the current format is playable on next-generation players. I've noticed that there are many movies that are not Blu-Ray-necessary, like The Lives of Others, or even Dreamgirls [Who would ever think that I would put 'Dreamgirls' in the same sentence as the excellent Lives of Others!?]. Others is an excellent, gripping film, but there are no fight scenes or massive special-effects sequences. My Blu-Ray collection is currently composed of A Clockwork Orange, The Departed, and Blade Runner. My other, primary concern is what is going to happen to the distribution of independent and foreign films under Blu-Ray? For their sake, though corporations are not generous, I do hope that, even as Blu-Ray gains hegemony in the video market, players will still be backwards-compatable, for I fear some excellent work may well be lost otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.