Friday, May 20, 2011

An Ambitious Project

You may have noticed that in my essays, I have frequently come up against a virtually intractable problem. I have noted on numerous occasions that the generation that suffered through Vietnam was the same generation that eventually sent us to Iraq and Afghanistan (I'm looking at you, John Kerry); humanity continually makes the same mistakes over and over again.

I am currently working on an incredible project: I want to stop this vicious cycle, at least in the United States. I am devising an educational program to do just that, and it will be my longest essay to date (currently it is six pages long, single-spaced; I estimate it will be 15-20 pages long). Children are the future. I know that is a cliche, but it is true by the sad fact that adults are mountains of prejudices, and are unable to reconsider the world around them, having had their youthful idealism sucked right out of them as soon as they left college for the "Real World." It is this impotent complacency that makes the world what it is and perpetuates its harsh condition.

I may or may not be updating this blog as I work on this project. It was to actually be a blog post until I discovered just what I was doing. I currently do not know whether or not I will post the project here when it is finished.

This project is ambitious, and it may turn out to be impossible: No one has ever undertaken this before and had it actually work. The society devised in Plato's The Laws was never implemented, but I do not have the burden of creating a society from scratch. In fact, I want to perpetuate this society, but fix the most egregious problems. Can I do it? Do I know enough about how things work? We will soon find out.

No comments: